These muffins are really yummy and healthy! The muffins are even better the next day!
Food Network chef and nutritionist--Ellie Krieger
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (I recommend King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-capacity muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, the pecans and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar and oil until combined. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in the applesauce and vanilla.
- Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined. Gently stir in the apple chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pecan mixture. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.