I've been on a coconut kick lately and I wanted to make dessert for a little informal Academy Awards dinner Sunday night with my family. I found a great recipe from my new favorite cooking website, eatbetteramerica.com (there's a link on my blog to check out!) for a Pina Colada cake. It is so incredibly easy and quick to make and healthy too! It was a big hit with everyone, I will definitely be making this dessert again. The cake was light and airy with the angel food cake and pineapple and perfectly sweet. I've included the recipe below, however I did modify the canned pineapple from 8oz to 20oz, after reading the reviews for the recipe I noticed a majority of people suggested using more pineapple then the original recipe calls for. I highly recommend reading viewers comments or reviews on recipes found online because people often have helpful suggestions or modifications for a recipe after testing it. This cake turned out fabulous and the best part about it is 1 serving is only 140 calories!
Pina Colada Cake Recipe
(Courtesy of eatbetteramerica.com)
- 1 package angel food cake mix (I used Betty Crocker 160z angel food cake just add water mixture)
- 1 can (20 oz) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 8 oz frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut (I recommend Baker's Angel Flakes, and I toasted the coconut in a non-stick skillet and sprinkled on the cake after I frosted it)
- Heat oven to 350. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and crushed pineapple in its own juice. **NOTE: Look for angel food cake mix with water added only, but instead of adding water use the pineapple juice; it bakes perfectly)
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely on a rack.
- Spread whipped topping over cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.