Hi, I'm Julia. Welcome to my blog!

This is a blog where I can share with my family and friends my enjoyment of baking and cooking simple and flavorful food with healthy ingredients. I would like to share new recipes, old favorites, and finds from my local grocers. Enjoy!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Quinoa with Apricots and Pecans


Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is my new favorite grain; it contains more protein than most other grains and it's a nice alternative to couscous or rice. It's great as a side dish paired with meat or added to a salad or just by itself! I found this fabulous recipe for Quinoa with Apricots and Pecans, it was really good, a lovely balance of sweet and nutty flavors. I served this recipe as a side dish with chicken, but since this dish is high in protein and iron, you could serve it as a main dish with a salad or part of a salad trio. This would be a great dish for vegetarians too!

Quinoa with Apricots and Pecans (Found on eatbetteramerica.com)
Makes 4 servings

  • 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
  • 2/3 cup quinoa
  • 2/3 cup orange juice
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil (I added a little extra olive oil, about 1-2 tablespoons to moisten the dish more; you can eyeball the amount of olive oil to your preference)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. In a small nonstick skillet, toast pecans over medium heat, stirring often, 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted. Pour onto a plate; let cool.
  2. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer; rinse under cold running water 2 minutes. In medium saucepan, stir together quinoa, orange juice and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. Add apricots, raisins, green onions, cilantro and toasted pecans. Stir in lemon juice, oil and salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment