Hi, I'm Julia. Welcome to my blog!

This is a blog where I can share with my family and friends my enjoyment of baking and cooking simple and flavorful food with healthy ingredients. I would like to share new recipes, old favorites, and finds from my local grocers. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010




Mandarin Orange Chicken
Fresh asparagus and sugar snap peas
Coconut rice


My Trader Joe's pick of the week is their frozen Mandarin Orange Chicken, it is one of their best sellers and really tasty! It's found in the frozen food section. You can cook it a couple different ways such as baking or pan frying, I suggest baking for best results. I also garnished the chicken with toasted slivered almonds to add a little texture. I sauteed fresh sugar snap peas and asparagus with olive and a pinch of salt for a side dish. I made my favorite rice dish, coconut rice, a great accompaniment to any Asian dish!

Coconut Rice:
(Recipe from Relaxed cooking with Curtis Stone cookbook
pg. 220)

  • 1 cup basmati rice
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Unsweetened grated coconut, lightly toasted for garnish
Directions:
Combine the stock, coconut milk, and salt in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a near boil. Reduce the heat to low. Add the rice and stir constantly for 1 minute. Then cover the pan and simmer over low heat, without stirring, for 15 minutes or until the rice is almost tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and let the rice stand, still covered, for 10 minutes. Lightly fluff up the rice with a fork. Transfer the rice to bowls. Garnish with the toasted coconut, and serve.

***I use Angel Flake coconut found at any grocery store usually in the baking section. I lightly toast the coconut flakes in a non-stick pan***

1 comment:

  1. Dang that looks good! when shoud I come over for dinner?? lol!

    ReplyDelete