Hi, I'm Julia. Welcome to my blog!

This is a blog where I can share with my family and friends my enjoyment of baking and cooking simple and flavorful food with healthy ingredients. I would like to share new recipes, old favorites, and finds from my local grocers. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Taco Night!


Trader Joe's is always adding great, new items to their shelves. During a recent grocery trip I noticed a new display with taco shells, taco seasoning, and fat free refried beans. I thought it would be fun to have taco night at our house and try out these new items! I usually buy Lawry's taco seasoning, so I was excited to know TJ's now has their own. I thought the TJ brand of taco seasoning was just as good as Lawry's, a bit more spicy though, so I would only use half of the packet unless you like spicy. I like to use lean ground turkey meat, a healthier alternative to ground beef, and tastes just as good. For some taco topping ideas - Light shredded 3 cheese blend from TJ's, avocado, tomatoes, olives, sour cream, romaine lettuce. I was really impressed with the taco shells, great corn flavor, light and crispy. I accompanied the tacos with mexican rice and the fat free refried beans. I was a little disappointed in the lack of flavor of the beans, so next time I'll use their cuban style black beans, which I've had before and definitely their best. I wanted to make mexican rice from scratch and my mom has a good, super quick and easy recipe she shared with me for Fiesta Rice--

Fiesta Rice:

2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup white rice
1 can chicken broth (14 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup Tostitos Salsa-mild or medium
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add rice and saute until rice is lightly browned, stirring often. Add broth and salsa. Stir. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes-or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.

Delicioso!



No comments:

Post a Comment